Last week, I bought a ton of extra vegetables – onions, tomatoes, yellow squash, broccoli, and kale for a few recipes I was making. We were on day 7, and I still had most of the produce on my kitchen counter, and it was starting to wilt. One thing about me is I hate wasting food.
Wasting food is like wasting money, and who likes to waste money? I’m the type of person who will eat leftovers for every meal until it’s gone. My record is 5 days straight.
Here are 5 simple ways to reduce vegetable waste:
1. Make a easy, to-go egg muffin recipe with all your vegetables
2. Add vegetables to your smoothie- Best vegetables for smoothies are kale, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli
3. Cut up the vegetables, store in airtight container, and freeze (use another day)- Frozen veggies are best for stir fry, casseroles, smoothies, dogs dish, soups, pizza
4. Add vegetables to your dogs dish (approved vegetables only, ask your vet)- My dog loves carrots and broccoli! She is fed a nutritious diet too.
5. Add water to your wilted veggies or wrap a wet paper towel around the roots to revive them! – This is a helpful website that explains what to do with certain vegetables.
What are your hacks for reducing food waste? I would love to hear your ideas so I can put them all together and share with everyone.