hydration recommendations

infused water with mint, cucumber, and lime

In this blog post, I discuss why hydrating is important, tips to hydrate, and hydration recommendations for an average healthy adult. 

Hydrating during summer

With the summer solstice around the corner, it’s safe to say Summer has arrived. Warmer weather means more time spent outside with family and friends and inevitably, more direct time with the sun. Warmer temperatures, in combination with exercise causes our bodies to heat up, and as a result, our bodies compensate, or cool down by evaporating sweat through our sweat glands.

hydration is important

Maintaining hydration is extremely important because when we sweat, we lose water and electrolytes, and we need both to survive. Fortunately for us, our bodies are pretty good at informing us when we need to replace and replenish lost water and electrolytes.

The most common, and well known indicator is the color of our urine. When we are dehydrated, our body does a number of things to conserve water. Instead of flushing water through the kidneys, which occurs when we are hydrated, it’s the complete opposite during times of dehydration.When we are dehydrated, the kidneys will hold onto and reabsorb the water back into our body. The lack of water in our urine contributes to the concentrated, dark yellow color. The body has other ways to notify us of dehydration including through thirst signals, but usually by the time we are thirsty, we are already dehydrated.

hydration tips

Since we eat about 20% of our daily water from fruits and vegetables, and the other 80% from beverages, there are several fun ways to stay hydrated throughout the day. My favorite hydrating snack is watermelon. Made up with over 90% of water and packed with electrolytes, this is a top water-dense fruit that will help hydrate and replenish those lost electrolytes. Another option is infusing your water with fresh herbs, fruit, or vegetables. I love infusing my water with lime, mint, and cucumbers.

hydration recommendations

Your hydration recommendations will depend on your height, weight, and activity level, but you can use this reference to estimate your daily hydration needs. Typically, men and women between 19 years and older will need 3.7 L/day (approximately 16 cups/day) and 2.7 L/day (approximately 12 cups/day), respectively.

Watermelon feta, and mint salad

watermelon feta and mint salad


1 small mini watermelon, rind removed, cut into chunks

1 teaspoon of lemon juice

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves

4 oz crumbled feta cheese


1. Place watermelon chunks into a bowl.

2. Add lemon juice, olive oil.

3. Fold in mint and feta cheese.

What are your best ideas to stay hydrated? Share below :-). Interested in seeing more recipes? Check them out here.